Search Engines & Search Engine Optimisation
I used to do a lot of search engine optimisation, and here’s a nice easy list of things that I’ve learnt over the years.
- You can’t really expect to show up for lots and lots of search key-phrases, so discuss the main couple with me.
- A key-phrase is three or more key words, like “web designer greymouth”, or “backpackers hostel hokitika”.
- It can take weeks or even months for a new website to start showing in the Google Search results.
- Your website may initially show lower in the search results, but will climb higher on the list over time.
- I’ve sometimes seen the best results 6–9 months after a new website has been launched, so it’s not a short-term solution.
- You should update your site regularly, especially if it’s a new one. Google likes this.
- The secret to showing up in Google, is to mention your particular key-phrase over and over on a page on your website.
- Google wants to see text on the page, and ALT tags on your photos, mentioning your key-phrase.
- Get other websites to link to you.
- You may want to find a specialist search engine optimisation company, but I don’t have any recommendations for one.
- I’ve usually found that the bigger websites with more pages, will show higher than a small one with a few pages, in the search results.
- If you’re a tourism accommodation provider, you’ll find that you’re in a particularly competitive area for search engine optimisation.
- Everyone is optimising their websites these days.
- Google yourself regularly to see where you show up, and who you’re competing against.